spent part of yesterday fussing with a little Java/Design Patterns project. I made some progress, but the most practical benefit was taking notes on what I was doing with Tomboy -- not because the notes helped, but because I'd never really tried Tomboy out.
One useful feature is its "Export to HTML" option. I spent a few hours noting what I was doing, as I was doing it, then exported the note. Here's the result, with no editing. After the export, it puts up a web page in the browser. From there, getting it here took three keystrokes: mark all (^A), cut (^C), and paste (^V).
- Unpacked a bunch of stuff from the book's web site. It includes code for all examples.
- Learned, from one of the downloaded textfiles, that I can run using a classpath with java -cp.
- Hacked their ant build.xml file to works with my weatherstation data.
- Verified that ant, like make, notices times.
- Fixed an eclipse installation hiccup by paying attention to eclipse's output, which told me how to fix it.
- Put weatherstation under git, and tried out git commit --interactive
- Put all this into Tomboy Notes in a notebook called hfp-diary, for an excuse to play with TN. Tried out fonts, exporting to HTML, navigating menus with the keyboard.
- Successfully, though unintentionally, removed my entire project, including the git repository. :-( After my hacking build.xml, ant clean wiped the entire directory.
- Copy the code over from the book, and experiment with various things in git, to try to keep from wiping out the code again.
- Get rid of the project lines, so that the sucker will compile and run.
- Figure out how to get a run configuration set up. This is tedious, but I suppose I'll get used to it.