Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Is There an Easy Way to Put Equations in Posts?

I've spent yesterday evening figuring out how to create equations on my computer.

Lyx, which is supposed to be easy, just crashed. OpenOffice is a little more clumsy, but useable.

Having done it, I now can't figure out how to cut-and-paste from them into things like email or this post. I can attach documents or take screenshots, but that's pretty clunky.

Some forms are, however, clunkier than others. A simple equation that takes 10K in .odt (OpenOffice) format is 104K in Windows-97 format: a factor of 10 explosion.

If you're reading, and know how I can get equations into gmail or blogger posts, speak up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, giving some math lessons I need easy and fast way. Looks like Office 2007 (compared to 2003) has much better attitude to equations ( http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/ec/equations/equation2007.html ), but I still have 2003 in work.