"Bookmark keywords" are convenient, little aliases that substitute their arguments for %s in the URL line. When I get tired of typing, I set them up. I typically use them for searches, and they come and go based on what I use frequently. They're more convenient for me than adding stuff to the search bar.
Yesterday, I cleaned up, and today I have two: Wikipedia, and a search for whether the public library has a book on the shelf that I want.
To set one up, I drill down to the page that I'm looking for, then do this:
- ^L^C -- to capture the URL
- Bookmarks->Organize bookmarks->New Bookmark->Location->^V -- to paste it into the right place.
- Edit the URL to replace the specific things I was looking for by the parameter %s
- Type in a Name and Keyword
- Use them. For Wikipedia, I use the URL, wp
.For library searches, I type bpl .
I solved this by going into safe mode, invoking firefox --safe-mode, and removing/updating them there. Why's this work? I dunno, but it does. I got back up, re-started firefox the normal way, and all was well again.